DBD::ODBC

DBD::ODBC module

New Perl DBD::ODBC 1.47 release

I have just uploaded DBD::ODBC 1.47 to the CPAN.

This release does contain significant changes in behaviour for unicode builds of DBD::ODBC so I hope when I warned you months ago you tested it.

Thanks to everyone on the dbi-dev list and irc that helped me work my way through the unicode issue.

I'm now going to sit back and wait for the usual rush of reports from everyone who didn't test it.

See below for changes since last full release.

1.47 2014-02-19

Full release of the 1.46 development releases.

[MISCELLANEOUS]

Perl DBD::ODBC 1.46_2 released - You REALLY need to test this release

I've just uploaded DBD::ODBC 1.46_2 to the CPAN. In the process of writing Some Common Unicode Problems and Solutions using Perl DBD::ODBC and MS SQL Server and github repo I discovered a serious bug in the way DBD::ODBC can attempt to insert unicode characters into char/varchar/longvarchar columns. This experimental release fixes that issue but it does mean this release contains a significant change in behaviour. Since 1.46_1 yet another unicode fix was added too.

Perl DBD::ODBC 1.46_1 released - You REALLY need to test this release

I've just uploaded DBD::ODBC 1.46_1 to the CPAN. In the process of writing Some Common Unicode Problems and Solutions using Perl DBD::ODBC and MS SQL Server and github repo I discovered a serious bug in the way DBD::ODBC can attempt to insert unicode characters into char/varchar/longvarchar columns. This experimental release fixes that issue but it does mean this release contains a significant change in behaviour.

Perl DBD::ODBC 1.45 released to the CPAN

I've just uploaded DBD::ODBC 1.45 to the CPAN. As always I'd draw your attention to a few small changes in behaviour. The changes since 1.43 are listed below but I need to warn you about an upcoming change first.

WARNING - PLEASE READ:
=====
The next development cycle of DBD::ODBC will contain signficant changes to the way unicode strings in your Perl scripts are inserted into CHAR and VARCHAR columns. In an attempt to write up exactly how this all works (see https://github.com/mjegh/dbd_odbc_sql_server_unicode and http://www.mail-archive.com/dbi-dev@perl.org/msg07364.html) I have discovered that unicode strings are not being inserted into CHAR/VARCHAR columns correctly in the unicode build of DBD::ODBC. There may also be changes to how unicode strings are read back from the database but I have not evaluated that yet.

Please make sure you keep an eye out of DBD::ODBC development releases 1.46_N and ensure you test them before the next full release is made. In the mean time if you are using unicode with DBD::ODBC and have any comments, have hit any strange issues or are using any workarounds I strongly urge you to contact me now before I get too far into these changes.
=====

Perl DBD::ODBC 1.44_4 released to the CPAN

Having skipped the announcement for 1.44_3, here is 1.44_4. I expect this to become 1.45 in the next week unless someone comes up with something I've badly broken. You should note there are a few changes in behaviour.

Unicode support via Perl DBD::ODBC and MS SQL Server - common problems

DBD::ODBC has had increasing support for unicode since version 1.16. However, unicode seems to be an issue that causes a lot of confusion and especially when it comes to DBI and DBDs. The mantra of just DWIM, is complicated because most DBDs were originally written with no unicode support.

My first experience of travis-ci with DBD::ODBC and repercussions

I've heard people mention travis-ci but not really paid much attention to it, that is, until yesterday when I issued a pull request from my github account for a few minor fixes to DBI. I wondered if my pull request was applied and took a quick look at DBI on github to see my pull request was still pending. Clicking on my pull request I see a "All is well — The Travis CI build passed" and just clicked on it.

Perl DBD::ODBC 1.44_2 released to the CPAN

After being forced to drop the subversion repository used by DBD::ODBC as perl.org has dropped subversion I moved it to github. Then, my friends working on DBI related modules setup up perl5-dbi and Merijn (Tux) helpfully moved DBD::ODBC under that umbrealla for me - thanks Tux.

Perl DBD::ODBC 1.44_1 released to the CPAN

I've just uploaded DBD::ODBC 1.44_1 to the CPAN. This is the first release since the enforced move away from subversion on perl.org (not that this is a complaint). Hopefully, with DBD::ODBC being on github now I might get a bit more in the way of contributions.

There are a couple of bugs fixed but unless you reported them I'd be surprised if you are affected by them but all testing is welcome.

Perl DBD::ODBC 1.43 released to the CPAN

  • Changes in DBD::ODBC 1.43 March 6 2013
  • This is a full release of all the 1.42_* development releases.

    plus:

    • [Bug FIXES]
    • Minor fix to 10handler.t test suite which relied on a native error being true instead of defined.

  • Changes in DBD::ODBC 1.42_5 January 25 2013
    • [BUG FIXES]
    • Not all modules used in test code were specified in build_requires.

  • Changes in DBD::ODBC 1.42_4 January 21 2013
    • [ENHANCEMENTS]
Syndicate content