Recently I've been required to look at writing a Facebook application. I don't use Facebook and have little interest in it myself. I looked around for a quick start with Perl and Facebook and came across Facebook Authentication with Perl and Facebook::Graph which looked interesting to follow and work through.
Putting aside the problems I had getting something set up on our system that allowed Facebook to post back to us I was left with the error:
An official release of the 1.28 development releases.
I'm about to release DBD::ODBC 1.29 after 4 development releases. Unfortunately, (as is often the case) I've found a bug just after the last development release related to batching of SQL statements and odbc_more_results. I'm fairly confident in it but if you use DBD::ODBC I'd love you to test it before I release it as it may be a while before I can release a new version.
You can find it here
I came across someone asking about DBIx::ProcedureCall today on Perl Monks in Execute Oracle Stored procedure using DBIx::ProcedureCall. Years ago I remember finding DBIx::ProcedureCall when we were about to embark on writing an application that used stored procedures in DB2, Oracle and MySQL. DBIx::ProcedureCall did not support DB2 and MySQL then and I was not that happy about the way it creates symbols in Perl for database procedures/functions so I dismissed it and I wrote my own code. When I saw it again on Perl Monks I thought I'd take another look at it and was surprised the supported DBDs has not increased (it is still Oracle and Postgres).
Recently at $work I've been battling with some Perl code which retrieves data from Oracle via DBD::Oracle and a package function which returns a reference cursor. As I've mentioned before in this blog, the user has no select privilege on the database but can call package procedures/functions which return reference cursors and hence data from the database.
The query we have a problem with attempts to return multiple rows but one column is actually a list of primary keys from another table:
Once I'd familiarised myself with the Arduino development kit I wanted to try and use it to monitor my electricity usage. I know you can buy commercial devices which do this but I wanted more than the current usage; I wanted to log usage over time and I wanted to involve Perl somehow. I saw the Flukso ages ago and even tried to buy one but they were out of stock.
Just got back from my first visit to the London Perl Workshop. Thanks East Coast Railways for not only cancelling my train to London (and making me sit on the train at York station for an hour for nothing) but also for cancelling the one back from London. I'm ashamed to be English when people travelled to the workshop from out of this country in less time than it took me to travel 200 miles by train.
I thoroughly enjoyed the whole weekend. It was great to put some faces to the people I've had contact with on the Internet (in particular ribasushi, timb, tux) and the talks were most enlightning. I have to pickout some highlights for me although I obviously did not see all the talks: