My mum and dad bought me an Arduino Data Shield for Christmas (from Proto-Pic) but due to the weather and the fact if was sourced from America it did not arrive until after Christmas (over 3 weeks actually). I was initially surprised at the size of the package when it finally arrived and then discovered it was a kit of parts and not an assembled item (not a problem but I didn't spot this on the web site where it was bought from although looking at it again it does make this clear):
I followed the instructions on the packet of parts at Logger Shield and it took around an hour to solder all the parts onto the PCB. A few notes:
My finished Data Logger plugged in to a Arduino in an Arduino plastic case (I also got for Christmas purchased from Cool Components) is pictured below:
The case contains 3 plastic stands moulded to the base which the Arduino pushed over aligned through holes in the Arduino PCB. They are so tall they didn't allow the Data Shield to be pushed over the Arduino when in the box as there are no equivalent holes in the Data Shield PCB so I was forced to cut the plastic stands down.
Once I got this far it was time to test the Data Logger out. I downloaded the RTClib and SdFat libraries and installed them. With a few minor tweaks to my script for Monitoring my house power with an Arduino and Perl I had the real time clock set and logging dates/times but I've not yet tested the SD card so more to follow.