Just got back from my first visit to the London Perl Workshop. Thanks East Coast Railways for not only cancelling my train to London (and making me sit on the train at York station for an hour for nothing) but also for cancelling the one back from London. I'm ashamed to be English when people travelled to the workshop from out of this country in less time than it took me to travel 200 miles by train.
I thoroughly enjoyed the whole weekend. It was great to put some faces to the people I've had contact with on the Internet (in particular ribasushi, timb, tux) and the talks were most enlightning. I have to pickout some highlights for me although I obviously did not see all the talks:
I ordered a Smiley Micros Arduino Workshop book and Projects Kit a few weeks ago. I'm based in the UK and Smiley Micros are in the US and I paid via PayPal so I expected it to take some time for it to arrive. The PayPal payment took the best part of a week but after that I received an email saying my kit was dispatched and 6 days later it arrived. Thank you Smiley Micros, US Postal Service and Parcel Force.
Firstly, I should say I don't use Windows that much these days. The Windows machines where I test DBI and DBD::ODBC I set up ages ago with a Perl built with MS Developer Studio and I tend to keep them for that purpose. However, I bought a whole load of nice shiny new parts to build myself a new PC a month ago and installed Ubuntu and Windows as I thought I could get a more up to date Perl on Windows at home.
Today someone posted a problem using the SQL Server XML datatype with DBI/DBD::ODBC on the dbi-users mailing list. I sorted their problem pretty quickly but noticed his code using length() on scalars which were bound with bound_col was not reporting the correct length. The example and output are below:
Just spent around an hour trying to get my wife's laptop to connect wirelessly to my Canon IP5000 printer connected to my new Windows 7 x64 machine. It all worked fine when I was running Windows XP x86.
Ok, so someone is bound to say I'm just using a blog entry to complain about a company and although I am, it was not me that got the bum end of a deal from Dell. My friend, does not use computers every day and is self employed in the building industry but needs better records for his tax and the production of bills and would like to watch a DVD or two. He found a laptop he liked but could not find anyone selling it and found something almost equivalent from Dell.
I just upgraded from Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala to 10.04 Lucid and my Oracle SQL Developer stopped working entirely. I didn't bother trying to look in to it as my SQL Developer was rather old anyway so I downloaded 22.214.171.124 and it didn't work either. Seeing the warnings on the SQL Developer page about supported JDKs I first checked what I had installed.