Ok, so someone is bound to say I'm just using a blog entry to complain about a company and although I am, it was not me that got the bum end of a deal from Dell. My friend, does not use computers every day and is self employed in the building industry but needs better records for his tax and the production of bills and would like to watch a DVD or two. He found a laptop he liked but could not find anyone selling it and found something almost equivalent from Dell.
I just upgraded from Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala to 10.04 Lucid and my Oracle SQL Developer stopped working entirely. I didn't bother trying to look in to it as my SQL Developer was rather old anyway so I downloaded 220.127.116.11 and it didn't work either. Seeing the warnings on the SQL Developer page about supported JDKs I first checked what I had installed.
In the last few days on and off I've been trying to locate a problem with a fairly complicated Perl daemon using POE which was taking a huge amount of time to return a large file via LWP::UserAgent. It's taken a while since in reality we were not doing a simple HTTP GET and the circumstances under which the problem occurs are difficult to set up. However, I've at last tracked it down to taint mode.